WRIGHT MP Scott Buchholz is urging communities facing street crime or anti-social behaviour to seek federal CCTV and crime prevention funding under round two of the Safer Streets program.
Online applications close at 1pm February 17, with community groups, councils, incorporated not-for-profit organisations, chambers of commerce, Neighbourhood Watch and police eligible to apply.
The government will award up to $29.4 million for individual grants for CCTV cameras and better lighting in retail, entertainment and commercial precincts or public parks.
Mr Buchholz, who met with Justice Minister Michael Keenan in Canberra on Thursday to discuss the issue, stressed the value of applying for funding.
“Through my advocacy and a strong community push by the Logan City Council and the Logan Country Safe City Group we got 10 CCTV cameras for the Jimboomba region last year through round one of the Safer Streets Program,” he said.
“We must not miss this great opportunity to strengthen security in the region even further through round two of the program.”
He urged local groups to get their applications under way and reach out to his office for help as soon as possible.
“I want our local groups to have the very best chance at securing funding and my team is here to help make sure your online applications are properly made,” he said.
“Please phone or email my office now – get in early and get the help you need to make a solid application which meets the eligibility requirements and addresses the selection criteria.”
For more information visit www.ag.gov.au or phone the electorate office on 5541 0150. To apply visit https://www.ag.gov.au/CrimeAndCorruption/CrimePrevention/Pages/ProceedsofCrimeAct.aspx